State Registrations and Requirements

State registrations vary depending on if you operate your commercial vehicle intrastate (only within your base state) or interstate (across state lines). Schultz Transfer Systems will help you determine what you need to stay compliant with state regulations.

Schultz Transfer Systems offers assistance with the following state requirements:

STS also offers services for federal regulations. Click here to see a list of federal registrations and requirements.

Vehicle Titling

A vehicle title is a formal document that establishes a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle. Vehicle titles in the U.S. are commonly issued by the state DMV. While not standardized from state to state, a commercial certificate of title normally specifies the vehicle identification number, a brief description of the vehicle, and the name and address of the purchaser or "registered owner" who normally possesses and uses it.

Base Plate Vehicle Tags

Commercial vehicles that operate exclusively within their own state must obtain a base state license plate. Many states have reciprocity agreements with adjacent states that allow limited interstate travel within a specified distance. For instance, Wisconsin currently has a reciprocity agreement with Minnesota that allows a motor vehicle that has a Wisconsin base plate to operate within a 30 air mile range of the Minnesota-Wisconsin border.

International Registration Plan (IRP) Plate

An International Registration Plan (IRP) plate, also known as an Apportioned plate, allows a commercial vehicle to travel beyond its base state. The states you travel into and through must be declared at registration. The annual IRP fee you'll pay for each state is prorated by truck weight and percentage of miles traveled in each state. You should apply for this license in your home state.

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

For interstate commerce, you must also set up an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) account with your home state. Fuel taxes are levied by how much fuel you use when traveling on each state's roads, calculated from the quarterly reports you file. You are responsible for recording the number of miles driven and fuel you purchase in each state

Temporary Trip and Fuel Permits

Motor carriers wishing to travel into a state for which they are not registered may apply for temporary trip and/or fuel permits. A trip permit is issued as a temporary vehicle registration when traveling into a state for which the vehicle is not apportioned or registered. Temporary fuel permits are issued to cover a carrier's operation for which they do not have current IFTA credentials or a fuel permit for the intended state of travel.

State Tax Registrations for Heavy Vehicles

Some states impose additional taxes on commercial vehicles that operate in their state. The taxes generally apply to motor vehicles with a heavy gross vehicle weight. Some of the more common state tax registrations are listed below:

NY HUT Permit

New York State imposes a highway use tax on motor carriers operating certain motor vehicles on New York State public highways. The NY HUT permit must be obtained for each commercial vehicle with a gross weight of more than 18,000 pounds.

KYU Number Registration

The KYU number is a tax license issued for the Kentucky Weight Distance Tax. Any motor carrier traveling into and through Kentucky with a gross weight of 60,000 pounds or more is subject to this tax. To obtain a KYU number, your USDOT number must be listed as an interstate carrier, you must have an active MC number, and have a current UCR (Unified Carrier Registration) for your company.

NM Weight Distance Tax

New Mexico imposes a weight-distance tax on owners, operators, and registrants of intra and interstate commercial vehicles with a declared gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds. The New Mexico Weight Distance Tax is based on vehicle weight and miles traveled on New Mexico highways.

Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier

Companies based in other states that operate trucks in Oregon must obtain an Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier. It is a paper credential that is carried in each truck for purposes of Oregon weight-mile tax collection. The credential is an annual registration and the fees are based on the vehicle's licensed weight.

Tax registrations for other states

Contact Schultz Transfer Systems for additional information.

Contact Us